I Need Help

If you are at risk or experiencing homelessness, we can help.

Medicine Hat Emergency Shelter Providers

McMan Inn-Between Youth Shelter

178 South Ridge Drive SW, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Phone: 403.529.6367

The McMan Inn-Between has a 6-bed site. 1 bed is available for community youth; the remaining beds are funded by Child and Family Services Authority.

Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter

Phone: 403.529.1091
Toll-Free: 800.661.7949

The Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society supports individuals impacted by family violence by providing them with safe shelter, education, advocacy and access to community resources.

Salvation Army Shelter

737 – 8 Street SE, Medicine Hat, Alberta
Phone: 403.526.9699

The Salvation Army operates a 30-bed capacity adult shelter.

What can I expect if I visit a shelter?

When you arrive at a shelter, there will be a staff person there to greet you. That person will have some intake paperwork to complete with you.

Shelter staff will be available to explain the process of staying in shelter as well as what the rules and guidelines are of the shelter (these may change depending on which shelter you go to). Shelter staff will also be able to help connect you with Central Intake, if you have not already spoken with them.

Who else should I contact?

Central Intake

Phone: 403.527.4507

Meet with a Central Intake worker to assess your situation and discuss possible resources.

Alberta Works After-Hours Emergency Number

Phone: 866.644.5135

If emergency financial assistance is required after regular business hours, please call this number.

I am in need of Subsidized Housing.

Participants submit an application to determine their eligibility. The applicant will be evaluated according to household income thresholds, household composition, asset limits, and citizenship requirements. Once it has been determined that the applicant meets the eligibility requirements, they will be placed on a waiting list for the most suitable housing program.

I received a Notice to Vacate.

There are many reasons why you might receive a Notice to Vacate. It is important to be sure you understand your Notice to Vacate as there are instances where a Notice can be cancelled. Please visit the Service Alberta website for more information about rental eviction notices. Please contact us if your Notice to Vacate cannot be cancelled or you would like access to helpful community resources.

Contact our Central Intake team: 403.527.4507

I am a Social Housing Tenant.

In addition to the Social Housing Programs offered by the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society, we also provide support services aimed at supporting those who may be experiencing housing instability, homelessness or are at risk of becoming homeless.

If a tenant requires a rent adjustment due to a loss of income, it is the tenant’s responsibility to report this change to ensure not more than 30% of income is paid towards monthly rental fees. Tenants must complete and submit this form to report a change in income and request a rent adjustment.  This form is for tenants within the Family and Special Needs Housing and Seniors Self-Contained Housing only.

The Medicine Hat Community Housing Society can only accept rental payments from the leaseholder. If a tenant requires a third party to pay rent on a regular basis, consent is required by completing this form.

Tenants needing to submit a maintenance service request may contact the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society Office. It is important that all maintenance emergencies (i.e. fire, flood, no water and/or no heat) be reported immediately. Please call the Emergency Maintenance line at 403.527.4507, option 3.

Tenants intending to move are required to provide written notice to the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society. The Notice to Vacate form should be submitted to the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society office no later than 30 days prior to the move out date. A Cleaning List is provided to highlight tenant move out responsibilities and to minimize deductions from the tenant’s security deposit refund.

We want to provide you with the tools to prevent bed bugs in your home and offer you treatment options if you encounter them. To ensure early detection, Medicine Hat Community Housing Association will conduct random building inspections, including a thorough examination of all units. Tenants will receive, at minimum, 24 hours notice before an inspection will occur. Tenants are encouraged to be present at the time of inspection.

When bed bugs have been confirmed it is critical that all surrounding units be thoroughly inspected and that action is taken to remove the bed bugs. If bed bugs are detected, treatment of the affected units will occur promptly and at no cost to the tenant. Tenants are asked to allow pest control professionals into their units (a notice will be provided) and to follow instructions, ensuring effective elimination of the pest.

As it is almost impossible to know exactly where the bed bugs originated, no person or family will be blamed, judged, or evicted for reporting bed bugs. If you have questions or suspect that bed bugs are present in your unit, please contact us at 403.527.4507 or email info@mhchs.ca.

I am staying in a shelter or couchsurfing.

It will be important to talk to a Central Intake worker, they will be able to connect you with the appropriate resources and programs to help get you re-housed. The worker can meet with you in our office, at a shelter, or in the community.

Contact our Central Intake team: 403.527.4507